Thursday, December 15, 2011

I have made a horrible mistake...

So, I made a really birdbrained move. I compressed PDoA and PS so that I'd be able to to put them on my 8gig hard drive (each one uncompressed would be about 5-6GBs each). Compressed, it came down to a light 2.26GBs. I accepted it without any second though. I believed that those files could compress that small.

Days later, I've fixed my computer at the cost of a format. No big deal, I though I had everything.

I was wrong. Everything was corrupt, nothing in that archive was saved properly. I had to scrap the file. I lost everything I had done on PS.

Now, this isn't all bad. Thankfully, I have PDoA Classic saved on a different machine, because I was paranoid about this very thing happening. Build 77's source code is safe and snug on my server machine (it acts as a sort of backup drive). So I lost nothing in the sense of PDoA. However, Pokemon Story I wasn't so cautious about. Now, I admit, this is a few steps back but I can recover. Do not worry about any of the database files or the maps. Those are all saved remotely (thank god!). I would have just about quit if I came out of this reformat with absolutely nothing.

At any rate, I'm just reporting the loss on a public forum so that people would be in the know about what's happening.

Right now PDoA isn't too popular of a game. Mainly due to lack of updates and anticipation of PS. I'm going to have to push that back a bit.

So, I'm guessing the only other option I have is to release a holiday event involving the Rainbow and Silver wings (as suggested by Zinc) to remedy the fact that PS isn't going to be ready as soon as I thought. I said the process would take about a year to complete; thank god I didn't undershoot. Alot of people would have been upset, haha.

And if you tl;dr this then all you need to know is I lost PS, have PDoA Classic backed up, and I'm going to be starting PS over from PDoA's build 77 source code. A large step back, but I'll do it. I love Pokemon and this community too much to bail. The internet deserves a good, plays-like-the-handhelds Pokemon MMO. My goal is to build that MMO.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Silver. Did you try to use a data recovery software to recover files after you formatted your hard drive? If you are lucky, you may be able to recover some or all the PS files.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/recover-formatted-partition.htm

    ReplyDelete